Dedicated "to the glory of God and the service of mankind," St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital opened in 1954. St. Luke’s soon made headlines with such milestones as the first successful heart transplantation, the first artificial heart implantation, and the first laser angioplasty procedure.
These and other advances would instill St. Luke’s and Texas Heart® Institute in patients’ minds from around the world as the heart center at which to receive world-class care with a heart.
The hospital’s original charter for a 180-bed nonprofit general hospital was secured in 1945; by 1947, the bed number increased to 300. During the planning stages for St. Luke’s and Texas Children’s Hospital, which opened the same year, board members agreed to build adjacent facilities, establish shared administrations and maintain separate boards. This joint operation, which developed highly respected high-risk pregnancy and neonatal intensive care programs, continued until 1987.
An additional affiliation was added in 1962 with the chartering of the Texas Heart Institute (THI) (visit Texas Heart Institute's website). Under the direction of Denton A. Cooley, M.D., St. Luke’s successful cardiovascular surgery record and THI’s advances against cardiac disease have brought international acclaim. St. Luke’s and the Texas Heart Institute have performed more than 100,000 open heart procedures, more than 200,000 cardiac catheterizations, and more than 25,000 cardiology interventions as an alternative to bypass surgery. In 2009, for the 19th consecutive year, St. Luke’s and THI were selected by U.S.News & World Report as one of America’s best for heart care.
In 1971, a 26-story patient tower was constructed, and in 1990, St. Luke’s Medical Tower (now known as the O'Quinn Medical Tower at St. Luke's) opened, earning the distinction of being the icon most associated with the Texas Medical Center. In January 2002, The Denton A. Cooley Building was dedicated.
In February 1997, the Episcopal Diocese of Texas established St. Luke’s Episcopal Health System, a Texas non-profit corporation. This reorganization expanded the healing ministry of the Diocese through the creation of St. Luke’s Episcopal Health Charities (SLEHC). A grant-making public charity, SLEHC acts as a partner with St. Luke’s as it fulfills its charity care obligations and faith-based mission. To date, the Charities has awarded nearly $80 million through over 1,500 grants to 320 nonprofit health service programs throughout the Diocese.
Through its relationships with Baylor College of Medicine and The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, St. Luke’s participates in the training of residents rotating through the hospital. Approximately 60 percent of the 600+ members of St. Luke’s active medical staff have teaching appointments at one of these two medical schools.
St. Luke’s primary focus continues to be providing quality, patient-focused care. Physicians in 23 clinical services covering more than 40 specialties are supported by some of the most advanced technologies available. This breadth of medical resources means that St. Luke’s is equipped to handle a wide spectrum of patients, from the low-risk obstetrics patient to the patient with multi-system problems requiring the expertise of an acute-care facility. In 2001, St. Luke’s cared for approximately 32,879 inpatients and received more than 220,000 outpatient and emergency room visits. More than 4,000 staff members and 450 volunteers provide direct patient care and support services in a healing atmosphere of compassion and concern.
In 2000, the opening of the first St. Luke's Community Emergency Center® expanded St. Luke's Emergency Services to further support our mission of service to the community. We have grown to be the largest provider of freestanding emergency services in the greater Houston metropolitan area. St. Luke's prides itself in bringing Texas Medical Center quality emergency care to neighborhood communities 24 hours a day every day, including weekends and holidays.
St. Luke's Diagnostic & Treatment Center - Kirby Glen, which opened in early 2003, offers St. Luke's excellence and free parking in a convenient location. Kirby Glen includes radiology, cancer treatment facilities, lung therapy, sleep apnea diagnostics and travel medicine.
Also in 2003, St. Luke’s The Woodlands Hospital opened as part of St. Luke’s Episcopal Health System. The Woodlands' facility provides the compassionate care people have come to expect from St. Luke's. The staff delivers this care in state-of-the-art facilities that include an emergency department, newborn and infant nurseries, diagnostic imaging services, labor and delivery rooms, family lounges on each floor, and more.
In April 2004, Baylor College of Medicine and St. Luke’s Episcopal Health System entered into a new affiliation agreement that significantly expanded St. Luke’s relationship as Baylor’s private adult affiliated teaching hospital. While Baylor and St. Luke’s have been affiliated since September 1961, the new affiliation agreement resulted in a strengthening of their shared programs to forge a new model for healthcare delivery.
In Spring 2005, St. Luke’s was re-designated a Magnet Hospital for Nursing Excellence by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, a subsidiary of the American Academy of Nursing. In 2002, 2004 and 2005 St. Luke’s was named to FORTUNE magazine’s list of "100 Best Companies to Work For."
In October 2008, St. Luke's Sugar Land Hospital opened as part of St. Luke's Episcopal Health System. The five-story, 200,000 square foot, 100-bed facility offers inpatient and outpatient services, and features 64 med/surgical beds, 16 private rooms dedicated to women’s services, a 16-bed intensive care unit and comprehensive diagnostic and imaging services. This facility provides an array of medical and surgical clinical services, including women’s health, emergency care, intensive care and diagnostic and interventional cardiac catheterization labs.
In September 2009, St. Luke’s Lakeside Hospital in The Woodlands, Texas opened its doors. This facility specializes in sports medicine and orthopedic/spine surgery services.
In December 2010, St. Luke’s Hospital at The Vintage opened in Northwest Houston. The facility offers a full spectrum of inpatient and outpatient services.